Tuesday, May 02, 2006

On a tangent

I am kind of embarrassed to say that I had never read Pride and Prejudice. However, after hearing it mentioned so often while we were talking about other stories (like the English style in JS&MN), I decided to read it. I loved it! I am excited to see the movie now. (I avoided watching it so far because I wanted to read the book first.) I think that it will probably be like Harry Potter for me: the book is amazing and so is the movie but you only love the movie more than you might otherwise because you loved the book. Hence, the book is always better. I just hope that the movie isn't a let down. For those of you that loved JS&MN, do you think the JS&MN movie will be a let down or will it be something you love like the book?

4 Comments:

Blogger LaTorea said...

If you're going to watch the movie, watch the A&E version of it. It's one of my favorite movies ever. I haven't seen the new one yet but I can't imagine it being as good as the A&E one with Colin Firth.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Stacey Fox said...

I thnk that it is always better to read the book after you see the movie. Some people say that because they know the ending, they don't want to waste their time with all the details. I love the little details and movies always inspire me to read the books. Also sometimes the endings are adapted for movies and are different in the original books. I wouldn't be surprised if they adapted the end of JS&MN for the movie to make it a more satisfying conclusion (but I hope they dont!).

11:41 AM  
Blogger Andy Duncan said...

I haven't seen the Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice, but I liked the recent Keira Knightley version just fine.

Virginia, have you read any other Jane Austen novels? I'd recommend Sense and Sensibility next, after which you can enjoy the terrific movie of it that Emma Thompson wrote (and starred in) and that Ang Lee directed. As various people have pointed out, Sense and Sensibility could be an alternate title for Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Barbara Blaylock said...

I also loved Pride and Predjudice after I read it for a high school class. I haven't seen the movie, but it is such a great story. I think Pride and Predjudice would translate into a movie a lot better than Jonathon Strange & Mr Norrell. I guess you just have to watch to find out.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home