Monday, February 06, 2006

gods..

The further I get into this book, the more I struggle with all the references to the "forgotten" gods. I understand that they are struggling to be remembered in a new world where few people still believe, but because they are not "popular" gods, and because I am weak in my mythology, I am struggling with what they represent/were gods of. I am still interested in the overall point of the book of old gods versus new gods (media, TV, etc), but because it is so long, I am getting stuck in the details. Plus, it takes way too long to try to stop and read up about every charcter! There is so much that the author has stored in this book that I fear we could spend an entire class on this one book and never come close to uncovering all the details and the meanings. Hard for me to keep going...

2 Comments:

Blogger LaTorea said...

I think that the details aren't the most important part of the gods. Yeah, you kinda need to know what each god represents but if you don't it doesn't take away from the story. It just has to do with what is worshipped. People used to worship these gods, now they worship the TV and internet. I think it has a lot to do with what people obsess over.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Barbara Blaylock said...

I am not familiar with the stories of the gods either. I understand that the story can be read and enjoyed without knowing all the background information. However, I feel like I am missing out somehow. Does anyone know of a good text that can be used as reference?

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home