Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Wonderwall

When I started reading this story, I thought that it would be about people with whom I could relate... college students, etc. However, shortly into the story I realized that this was way beyond anything I could imagine going through in my own life. I felt sad as I read the story and then was shocked when I went back to the intro to realize that this was her real life! Do you think that the quote about the poet struggling to be a "seer" is what was happening to her during that period of her life. "All forms of love, of suffering, of madness; [s]he seeks them within [her]self." It almost seems that throughout this self-destructive time, she was trying to see how low she could fall, how much she could suffer, and how disoriented she could make her senses. I really thought after the gunshots that they would go somewhere and kind of wake up from their disillusioned lives. However, they instead chugged cough syrup! I just hope her life is happier now. I don't know how anyone could live that way for very long.

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Blaylock said...

This is my anti-drug statement.

I was addicted to narcotics (I, however, was in the hospital.) for a few months in 2001. I did the methedone clinic to get through withdrawl thing. Although I hate that the character keeps going back to drugs, the cough syrup could definitely look appealing to her if there was nothing else available. It is pitiful, but that is what drugs can do.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Andy Duncan said...

Barbara, did you get addicted while in the hospital, during treatment for something else, or were you hospitalized because of the addiction? And does the narrator's experience in "Wonderwall" ring true (or false) to you in other ways as well?

6:16 PM  
Blogger Barbara Blaylock said...

I am more than happy to answer questions about this if you have more.

I was diagnosed with aplastic anemia February 2000 and had a bone marrow transplant around Easter that same year. Due to complications I was in ICU for six weeks over Christmas 2000. That is when I became addicted to narcotics. I was in the hospital recovering from the complications and the addiction.

I thought the way the author portrayed addiction was accurate. The comments other students made in class just proved the correctness of the portrayal to me. I remember opening drawers, picking up the contents one by one, and throwing them on the floor until the drawer was empty. I would also ask for benedryl just to have some sort of drug (like the cough syrup in the story).

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home