Monday, March 13, 2006

"Je suis damne par l'arc-en-ciel"

The French phrase at the beginning of "Wonderwall" by Elizabeth Hand means "I am damned by the rainbow". I am unsure as to specifically why the narrator chose to write this phrase on her dorm room wall. My only thoughts would be because she is an unhappy person with a lot of problems and that because normal people enjoy seeing rainbows and sunny days that she does not because she enjoys the night. The narrator is continually high on all sorts of drugs that effect her life. She is unable to be productive which causes her continual unhappiness. There are not many aspects of the story that could be considered fantasy, which makes the story seem real. I felt extremely emotionally attached to the narrator, and I wanted her to succeed in life. For awhile, I thought she was going to overdose on the numerous drugs she was taking.

Why do you think she (the narrator) continues to behave in a self-destructive manner. Also, what do you believe are the elements that make this story fantasy? What is her relationship with David, and on the subconsious level, what are her feelings for him? Do you think she has a happy ending in her life?

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Blaylock said...

The introduction to the story says all the events actually took place. Maybe the fatastical elements are those that were drug induced since drugs create a sort of fantasy in a person's mind.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Clayton said...

I was thinking the same thing..."nearly everything in this story pretty much happened exactly as it's written here." Like with Jeff's Tropics, it seems that most everything was real or taken from true events and an element or two tweaked to make a better story or add a more fantastical element.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Stacey Fox said...

I really don't think she had a crush on him. I have a gay best friend, and we act like brother ans sister. In my head I gave them the same kind of relationship.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home